PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V1 question.
Thread: V1 question.
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2011, 17:28
Microburst2002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JT

you are right. Of course take off can be ASD limited with VR and V1 being equal. However I have very rarely seen a runway limited case. Most of the times second segment or obstacles is the limitation. (by the way, Can that be the reason for the high V1 VR values, that the optimum speeds are sort of an improved climb?)

others

Nobody will fly a wreck if he knows that it is a wreck. It is better to stop a wreck and overrun the runway than become airborne and crash.

The problem, however, is how to determine what the airplane's status is: wreck or not wreck.

This would be difficult even if we had 5 minutes to analize the situation.

At 140 kt ground speed we are running about 70m per second, and quickly accelerating, so in a few seconds we may have "eaten" hundreds of meters. furthermore, the speed gained goes squared in the kinetic energy equation. If we have already started rotation, things are even worse because efficient braking action will be delayed for more seconds. The result is several hundred meters lost plus some other several hundred extra meters needed for stopping. If the take off was already ASD limited, or approximately, then you have a runway excursion.

We don't have time to assess, only to react. If we react instictively we can screw it totally, unless we have spiderman's arachnid sense. So we need to use other form of decision making: anticipated decision making. The flaw of this method is that you don't know all the possible scenarios. You don't know what will happen. But the good thing is that chances of choosing the correct action are much better than in the instinctive reaction. Much better, i'd dare to say. OF course we can be unlucky and choose GO the damned day that the airplane is a wreck...

Airbus policy regarding RTO is very interesting, and it leaves a lot of room for Captain's decision. The ECAM inhibit function is very helpful and ergonomic, by the way. I guess Boeing has a similar feature?