PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2011, 15:04
AlphaZuluRomeo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lyman,

Let's go step by step:
- I do agree that the autotrim going full UP is a bad idea. Re-read my previous posts (discussion with airtren) on the subject.
- I do agree that AoA/stall (hard) protection and pitch (hard) protection were lost on AF447. That's the very raison d'être of the Alternate Law: when the plane can no more grant full protection, it reverts to Alternate (or Direct, if failures are more than what allows Alternate to be invoked).

Originally Posted by Lyman
If PILOT/PLANE communication is critical, wouldn't the a/c have annunciated to the crew that pilot input was being g managed?
You're saying - unless I'm mistaken - that "g demand" flight controls are dangerous and "unknown" of the pilot?? May I remind you that the Normal Law is also g demand? May I remind you that, apart from Dassault's Falcons, all FBW civilian aircraft use the g demand philosophy? There is no need of being in a perfect world for hoping that pilots know that!!

Originally Posted by Lyman
Was there an clear alert that instructed the manual pilot that basic, and life protecting systems were operating the Plane, and not he?
Yes there was. ALT LAW (PROT LOST) on the ECAM means just that. And this was acknowledged by the crew (see CVR transcript).
On a side note, I wouldn't call the g protection (nor the whole g demand law) "life protecting systems". They're:
- structural protecting systems for the g protection
- standart way of flying the aircraft for the g demand law.
Nor the g protection, nor the g demand controls alone will prevent any pilot to do what he wants with his plane (even stalling it, or recovering it from stall).
It will only - if needed - prevent him to do it too fast for the aircraft structure to cope with. The aircraft will retain its wings. Good idea, isn't it?

On the whole, I don't get it. What are you trying to prove? That a pilot must know its plane? I took that for granted...
I do agree that a PPL being thrown in AF447's cockpit could have difficulties with the g demand law. But we're talking of a professional crew, here, with ATPL & type rating licences.