PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish Airlines Wing Incident odd Plane swap
Old 21st Aug 2011, 02:23
andrasz

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
It is amazing how humans are unable to learn from even the nastiest of mistakes.

The circumstances of this incident smells of a PAF 101 remake, albeit luckier ending. Mogadishu airport is just on the edge of government "controlled" territory, it is no-mans land from there practically to the Kenyan border. It is a bare strip of concrete with no facilities whatsoever, with snipers on occasion having a go at approaching aircraft just for the fun of it. It is a field even experienced african bush pilots prefer to avoid if possible, and that's saying a lot. Flying a civilian airliner in there borders on the reckless if not beyond, I'm sure there were plenty of objectors on the meeting called to arrange this flight, but in the finest fashion political needs overrode sensibility and rationale. The Turkish PM wanted to go there, to show how much he cares. Fine, politicians do that all the time. But probably there was noone in the THY organisation to have the guts and say that not on any of our aircraft (or perhaps there were, and now are out of a job...) (yes, I do know the aircraft in question did not carry the PM, only the entourage, that does not invalidate the point).

Mind you, I have nothing against the Turkish PM, he was probably not involved in the actual decision. It was the assorted underlings, with a real or perceived pressure from the top that it must be done.