PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA wakes up
Thread: BALPA wakes up
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2011, 21:01
captplaystation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leg,
if you are referring to Ryanair (I guess?) BALPA had every opportunity to kick them in the nuts 4 years ago when IALPA implored them to appoint someone to deal with, & get involved collectively, in unionising the company . This was only going to happen as a joint venture, as the contracts of the employees were divided between Irish & UK.

The person on the top at BALPA at that time regretably didn't have the b@lls to fight this corner, & while he dithered & contemplated employing some half-wit on a temporary 6mth contract for the biggest fight in BALPA's life ( & he knew it ! ) interest waned, and IALPA was powerless to act alone, STN being the biggest base, & all the STN pilots being on UK contracts.
This (fortunately EX ) BALPA head honcho completely failed to fess up to the fight his members wanted him to fight, & the opportunity to achieve union recognition for a large group of UK based ( & contracted) employees was wasted.
I am now long gone, but still view developments with ( more or less) detached interest. I would love to see it work out for the folks there, & if BALPA somehow have some part in facilitating it ,all I can say is "about bloody time".
In my era, both in Ryanair, & previously in BMI , they were more a liability than an asset for most employees. I would be happy for them to prove me wrong by any future successes in the independant companies, I somehow doubt I will be eating my hat anytime soon.