PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Haddon-Cave, Airworthiness, Sea King et al (merged)
Old 20th Aug 2011, 13:18
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
I'm certainly not comparing you to Goebbels, I am comparing your way of changing the argument to suit your agenda to his habit of doing the same thing (hence the "..esque"). This thread is about Military Airworthiness and Airworthiness Related Accidents. The reason that Mr Haddon-Cave called for the establishment of an MAA was because of clear evidence that Military Airworthiness Provision has been subverted in recent decades. The problem is that the MAA can similarly be subverted while it remains within the MOD. You seem to want to move the argument to Flight Safety in general, all military air accidents in general, and the alleged operational deficiencies inherent in pursuing Flight Safety via the MAA. Like others here here I find that incomprehensible, but that is not the issue here.
The point at issue is airworthiness provision, and your question goes to the very nub of it:
Do you honestly believe that people have been subverting regulations with the intention of doing harm?
To which of course the answer is no, I do not think that their intention was harm, their intention was expediency. I am not going to rerun all that emerged on the Mull thread over several years, suffice it to say that though locked (after the Wratten and Day finding was set aside) it can still be read. The effect though was the same, subordinates were ordered to disregard the regulations but sign them off as complied with. The result was a Grossly Unairworthy Aircraft (prone to UFCM's, jammed Flight Controls, and a FADEC that could cause uncommanded power ups/ downs/ shutdowns) received Controller Aircraft Release and a Release to Service into the RAF. That it had switch on clearance only, so that Comms and Nav-Aids could not be used was never made known to aircrew, because of course it would make the aircraft unusable! The malevolence of which I speak is manifest in the persecution of the few who were prepared to resist such illegal orders. To date the Provost Marshal has shown no interest though in investigating them. My motivation is to simply ensure that the regulations are protected from being further suborned. As the MAA is now responsible for their enforcement then simple logic requires that the MAA must be outside the MOD to ensure this.