PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2011, 12:46
Clandestino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HarryMann
Also bear in mind that D. P Davies was writing quite a while ago now... technologically speaking.
I do and that's why consider chapters on fuel dippers, braking parachutes etc. as mere historical curiosities. I'll assume that you are well acquainted with the book so I would really like to know which parts of it did you find to be made obsolete by technological progress? I couldn't find many. IMHO lessons that should have been learnt from mr Davies, yet sadly were not, too often play a part in incident and accident reports in our day & age.

Originally Posted by airtren
I was looking for your own words, and your own supporting explanation, as short statements alone are often too brief to be a platform for a discussion, and so can be a book reference
Discussion with people proposing improvement of the system of which basics they are unaware and unwilling to learn, can be productive only by pure chance.
Opinions are debatable, facts shouldn't be so.

Originally Posted by airtren
Unfortunately, I don't have the technical means to share the collection of excellent documentation on theoretical and practical aspects of the workings of the THS and Elevators which I have, for being able to reciprocate.
'Tis a pity. I am sure that treatise on THSes that supports the notion of automatically zeroing them in case of stall warning should be very interesting read.

Originally Posted by mm43
[+1.25/-0.75] where did I get that? Don't know - must have read it somewhere
+2.5/-1.0 clean. 1.25 would quickly rob you of pitch authority, especially when banked.

Originally Posted by rudderrudderrat
I bet they would have felt it.
Instrument rated pilots tend to fly according to instruments, not according to their senses. It is not just because regulations demand so, it also greatly increases their lifetime expectancy. Properly trained IR pilots are even able to reconstruct the whole picture of their position and direction even when some details of it are missing. We call it "partial panel flying" and need for it was absolutely not abolished by the advent of glass cockpits. Definition of "properly trained IR pilot" includes, but is not limited to: proper initial IR training, proper type rating training and proper recurrent training.

Originally Posted by JD-EE
Clandestino, you don't seem to get it about communications.

Both pilots, PF and PNF need to start the communications ball rolling, "ATR/AP Disconnect. ALT 2". PF starts to control the plane. States what he is doing.
I am not against communication in principle. That lives of people taking flight often depend on clear communication in cockpit shouldn't be debatable. Where we differ is our opinion on AF447 pilot sitting in RH seat. You think he knew what he wanted to do but his actions were inappropriate for the situation and that's what I really doubt for the time being. It seems to me he was utterly and hopelessly lost and what puzzles me even more is that loss of SA spread like contagion to other two pilots.

Indignant cries of "why can't the autopilot save us when we don't know what we're doing?" remind me of certain young first officer:

Originally Posted by Ernest Kelogg Gann
I can not bear to look at the instruments as Hughen is obliged to do. Their readings are bringing me very close to panic. Where is that rambunctious youth intrigued with the essence of danger? What is happening so very quickly to the young man who thought the present world suffered from oversecurity and produced only mice-hearted men? Captain Hughen, this is all an anachronism. We belong to modern world and should therefore be secure. Please arrange a remedy for this grievous mistake at once.