PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2011, 11:16
Rob21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Insurance

The only way operators will change their training policy is by pressure of insurance companies.

I am a retired helicopter pilot and I fly a light twin airplane. I remember that insurance companies "gave" reduced premiums to operators sending their pilots to recurrent training at the factory Training Academy.

I hope AF 447's accident will be an "eye opener" for insurance companies. They have more power than regulators. If they "feel" that flight crews need more training, they have the power to put "pressure" on operators.

But if, on the other hand, this accident fell on the "acceptable percentage" of loss, nothing will change.

Very stupid of them if they won't put pressure on operators to increase SIM training time.
Training is never too much, just ask the pilots if they think they are getting enough SIM time.

Twice a year is ridiculous. IMHO, as a/c get more complex automation, flight crews need more training. Not less.
Complexity and automation are here to increase safety, not to reduce pilot training. This is a huge mistake, and AF 447 is another clear proof of that.

Back in the 70's my aerobatics instructor used to say: "modern aircraft have very modern failures..."