PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2011, 10:35
Clandestino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rob21
when the a/c reaches it's max ops ceiling it will, very gently, loose some altitude and go up again, and then gently will loose some altitude again and then will go up again until all passengers are sick. Maybe the pilot will get sick too...
Nope.... OK, I give up! If you set and hold 5° and set climb power, the aeroplane will climb, after a while power available goes down with altitude, EAS goes slowly down, AoA goes gently up and aeroplane levels off when AoA reaches five degrees minus wing incidence angle. Now if you are light and below ISA, you might get to altitude that's too high for pressurization to cope with but you will never, ever get anywhere where either your wings or your engines won't support sustained flight.

Reason I've used "almost every aeroplane" instead of "every aeroplane" is because overpowered designs with low limiting mach might get one into mach buffet region during climb, however, DP Davies assures us that those were out of commission by 1970.

I've always claimed that best remembered procedures are those pilots understand reasons behind them and likely outcomes of their application.

Originally Posted by airtren
If you read the BEA Report it states clearly that the PF and PNF had no Stall Approach, or Stall at High altitude training.

Is that enough?
It is good enough to make me remember certain short story; "Found at Pharisee"

Originally Posted by Drake the outlaw, as quoted by Richard Bach
The inspector is responsible, and you are innocent. All you have to do is let your airplane be destroyed in these mountains because you are not required to know how to survive in any land you fly over. Everyone else is responsible, you are just the guy who does the dying. Is that it?
Forget for just a second about Airbus, storms, training, fly-by-wire, stall waring, ADCs, etc. The crew was incapacitated just as Marwin Renslow and Rebecca Shaw were. The question that needs to be answered is how and why did it happen and if answer to that completely shatters our cozy picture of commercial aviation, it is small price to pay to avoid just a single, future, untimely death.