PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Doha Airport. Qatar
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2011, 09:26
ferris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a serious lack of controllers in Doha. It's as simple as that. They are so far behind the curve regarding providing the infrastructure to keep up with their aspirations in this part of the world, it isn't funny. I am told that some shifts have 2 controllers, yet some still have 1!!! If this were the UK (or whatever you are used to), there would be about 7 on each crew for the number of aircraft they handle in the restricted airspace. Just accept;
- the problems are nothing to do with the controllers. They work like one-armed paper hangers in very challenging circumstances (as you can hear)
- there is NO COHESION between units. Hence the speed-up-and-hold type scenarios. The inter-unit procedures are very restrictive, blunt instruments. The controllers do their best IN SPITE of said lack of support. You simply can't co-ordinate with a guy who has 15 on vectors and is working 1-up. He is fighting just to keep his head above water, let alone finesse the inbound flow from 3 different directions.
- the controllers do not have the tools to provide the level of service you receive elsewhere (controller numbers, procedures, equipment etc. etc.).

Your patience is appreciated- as is a lack of questioning instructions ("You want me to descend now?"). If you really wanted your hair curled, visit ANY of the units in the ME.