PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2011, 06:31
FRying

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRying
Honestly, I really doubt I'd feel happy with an alarm screaming every single time I'd be doing the right thing and turning off every single time I'd be doing the wrong thing again. .
Honestly, I really doubt that this argument has any real base. Even though repeated over and over again.

These guys chose to completely ignore the "screaming" stall alarm continuously for over 50 seconds (Do you know how long that is?).
And suddenly they decide to pay attention to it? I seriously doubt that.

But ok, let assume they suddenly for whatever reason cared about the stall warning.
So, you assume, the PNF acted the following way:
- I move the stick foward....oooh, stall warning , bad!
- I move it back....ah, silence again, good!

Excuse me, with all due respect, but that is the 'naive ad hoc learning behaviour' of a 3 year old.
But not the reaction to expected from a higly qualified aviation professional. If you had not completely forgot all about basic aerodynamics, flight mechanics, etc., how can you really believe that pushing the nose down can get you into stall????

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRying
..Considering all that, it's all too easy to speak, all comfy in our couch two years and a zillion articles on the event later.
I really love this kind of argument.
Well, it wasn't actually rocket science, what was demanded from them that night. Most basic airmanship would have been sufficient.

And if that cannot be expected from pilots anymore, then it might really be better to "design them right out of the cockpit".

All right you've got a point. I partially agree. However I have that strange feeling the Airbus philosophy does get in the way of basic airmanship from time to time. I do not mean Airmanship does not apply to Airbus aircraft. What I mean is the way Airbus aircraft are designed, the way the interface, the interaction system was built does not help pilots being pilots on certain instances. This is the reason I posted a reminder about the fact "Airbus aircraft CANNOT stall. Period." (Yeah right...)

Now, sure, once the systems don't kick in in a way that should be leading to recovery, you should be reverting to basic airmanship, almost animal, which these guys did not do. Am I immune to such a lack of behavior myself ? I really have no clue.