PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2011, 17:16
Lyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So again, a question. In AL the RTL protects the control, the Rudder. From your "Half elevator up at Mach.8." I assume you propose an inadvertent elevator input (or commanded, either way), might cause serious problems (lomcevak).

ROLL is DIRECT, RUDDER is DIRECT, but PITCH is NOT DIRECT, and it is UNPROTECTED.

The logic here escapes me, could you explain to me? I can understand the need for deflection protections, but why not in the elevators?

On the one hand, the airframe defends the controls, on the other , the Flight Path (elevators). Why?

So here: In a degradation to Alternate LAW, the a/c anticipates (with its logic) control inputs that may be excessive. Obviously, the need is to MANEUVER, NOT CRUISE. Why in Heaven's name is TRIM allowed at all.

It is TRIM, and not a primary FLIGHT CONTROL. keep it firmly at 0 degrees...... Throughout.

If the TRIM is active, it absolutely compromises the elevators' authority.

If ACTIVE, it is also sluggish (behind), and the Pilot must form a different response to variable combinations of TRIM/ELEVATOR, which he cannot see, feel, or "hear". This is not a recipe for disaster? One that can be blamed on "Lack of Handflying?" POOR TRAINING? ETC?