PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Put me off, please.
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2011, 16:44
dashman20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll have a stab!

I don't tend to write much on here but am a long term reader and have learn't
much from some of the posters.

Been an 'airline pilot' for about 14 years,flying instructor before that for a few years,in industry before that as a service engineer for 10 years.Held a PPL since I was 18 and flew any old wreck/glider/hang glider/microlight before that even!
On the way to my current job I've also had tons of various part time jobs either as well as or independently of the others,some of which were dirty,un-skilled,long hours or just down right dangerous!

The current job you are asking questions about(very sensibly and wisely)certainly has it's downsides,some of which have been highlighted already.Some of the other negative points are:
You may lose everything if you lose your medical certificate!
You may fail a check ride in the sim after repeated attempts due to other
'life stressors'-seen it happen to a few good guys.Poss asked to leave the
company which makes it harder to find a new job.
You may not make the grade as a potential captain and be a long term F/O
and thus not reach your projected earning potential-seen that a lot.
The company you work for may not promote for years due to the 'market'-seen that a lot recently.Again,loss of earnings.
You may be involved in an 'incident' that cuts your career short.
There are dozens of other examples probably,but these are ones that I have
witnessed first hand.

The daily grind of shifts,lack of sleep,poor diet(if you choose),roster changes,
lack of physical activity(if you don't keep fit to make up for it)and generally
disruptive life style are well known,but are not unique to this industry.If you don't have a way of dealing with that then think carefully about any job that involves it.
In comparrison to other things I have done I would rate those aspects as not an issue for me-things can,and have been a lot worse!If I ever start feeling sorry for myself I just mentally teleport myself back 20 years-life was much tougher then.

I would say that overall the good outweighs the bad by a mile and it has all been worth it.But when asked about the negatives,it does bring it home to you I guess,but then most of the guys and gals I work with are some of the most positive people I know-we don't all dwell on negative vibes!

Think carefully,plan,have a second option all the time and good luck.