PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mr Petter's Baby Jet - The Folland Gnat
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2011, 16:26
Krystal n chips
Thought police antagonist

Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Received 115 Likes on 82 Posts
In engineering terms, the Gnat was ahead of it's time in many respects being modular in contruction...well more or less. The rear fuse. came apart very easily, the engine removed, the saddle tanks the same and then the wing could simply be lifted off. The problems were re-assembly and cable tensions / setting the tailplane up... plus canopy crazing and the infamous pulley box system behind the rear seat.

A remarkably solid airframe as well, as evidenced by the one I collected at Leck after it's moment of passion with an F-104

The bent pitot incident was in the very late 60's in Gaydon Hangar by one, possibly two, "very unhappy" line mechs.

On the subject of size, the U.S. exchange pilot...R. R ( who carried out, I believe a practice fire drill over Harlech and then had the real thing..after which both left in a successful hurry )...always seemed " a very tight fit"..he was, ahem, quite well built as they say....unlike myself on the three back seat rides I managed during my time at Valley.