PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2011, 10:47
CONF iture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by infrequentflyer789
And yet autotrim (up into a stall) is still catching out boeing pilots too. The bus (outside of direct/boeing law) will at least wind the trim back down if ask for nose down. Wheras it seems the 737 at least will wind the trim up to the stall warning and then leave the pilot to remember (or not...) to unwind it in recovery. Which is "better" ??
The one that keeps things simple, always :
In manual flight, don't expect anything to trim for you - You, the pilot, are responsible for it.

Had the trim movement kicked the crew in the rear or slapped them in the face for every degree it would have made no damn difference - they would have said yes trim me up, I'm trying to climb and the elevators aren't working... Had the THS ignored them and (say) gone to neutral, they would have overidden it with elevator all the way down. Had they had spotted it ignoring them, they would probably have manually trimmed back up (and what should the poor plane do then?). Why? Because they wanted to climb.
Leave to the pilot the responsability for this type of action ... and if he does actually choose to trim up ... then I won't show up to defend his action.

Originally Posted by Clandestino
If you'd like to suggest that stall warning should automatically stop the trim dead, it's a bad idea.
No please, not even more automation.
At the earliest sign of disagreement between the probe values, Airbus should say :
As I'm not sure exactly what's happening, I auto cancel all my wonderful features, and I give you back a conventional aircraft in direct law.