PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK BMI voodo
Thread: EK BMI voodo
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2011, 04:03
givemewings

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To be fair I don't think it's purely aesthetics that drive the "off to fat camp" letters... for the cabin crew at least they have to be of a certain size to do their jobs well. Call me sizeist but at a previous company we had many "large boned" girls and guys who were an absolute pain to fly with... couldn't pass them in the aisle, got squashed on a jumpseat and they annoyed the hell out of the pax with their "CD Disease"- hitting every pax in the C & D seats with their arse on the way down the aisle. Let's not get started on not even fitting out of the overwing exits on aircraft that had them... no I am not kidding one girl was at least as Oz size 22!!! Shouldn't have been flying but of course the PC brigade wouldn't let them sack her or send her on a nutrition plan because it might offend her... I actually think EK have the right idea. As long as they take into account muscle/fat ratio and not just pure BMI (some who work out a lot show 'opbese' even if they are not) I think it's ok.

I much prefer knowing that my colleagues are fit and able to do their jobs... okay so for the pilots you guys tend to be locked away for most of the flight, but have you ever had to get your capt/fo out of the seat as a deadweight?? It's bloody hard with a fit healthy one let alone one with a huge BMI... for your own sake keep the size down or your F/o may decide he can't be bothered hauling your ass out of that seat and just move up one seniority number instead

True smoking, drinking and partying aren't the healthiest either but obesity has definitely been linked to serious illnesses... as regards pilots and cabin crew it seems the fatter they are the higher the risk to the company health scheme. So pass up that next cheese plate & F/C dessert guys...