PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Northwest plans to furlough about 67 pilots in February.
Old 19th Oct 2002, 13:35
A-V-8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wino...

Better dry out for a while.

United hasn't recieved any loans from the goverment, as of yet.

And what is proposed by the ASB is not a loan, but a loan garantee. Don't know if you are an American Vet, but it is like the VA house mortgage loan, where they Goverment will pay off the lending establishment if you default.

Some how its gotten a little off thread here.

As far as the United Pilots and the RJ's, a Union study concluded that UAL Mainline could fly the RJ's for the same cost as the Express, given Uniteds economy of scale......fuel purchasing, etc...

But during Michael Glawes negotiations concerning the RJ's, it was presented to him that there are X amount of dollars, and it can go for more 777's or RJ's, which would you want.....

Like it or not management has won the RJ issue and is using it to destroy the mainline unions in the US.

It's kind of like Lorenzo's Continental was charging Eastern 32 dollars for every reservation that was made on Eastern, as Continental bought the reservation system from Eastern.

United has bought planes for the Expresses, paid for training, and god knows what else we've paid for at the Expresses.
They will do that so they can show losses at UAL and shift more to the Feeders, whom I think, will soon be flying the 737 300s United is proposing to park. (Last month UAL rented another 200 spots in the desert......._)

If I was an Express Pilot, with the benefit of my 30 years of airline experience looking back, I think that I would have to resign myself to the possiblility that the Express company that I am with will be the last employment in my career.

With this shrinking of the majors, it will be years before heavy metal jobs are available in the US.