PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Three killed in South Australia Helicopter crash
Old 19th Aug 2011, 01:15
onetrack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is most certainly tragic news. Paul Lockyer, a member of the Lockyer families from the Corrigin wheat & sheep farming region, 220kms SE of Perth, W.A., came from a family line that were W.A. pioneers, farming pioneers, popular and well liked.
I am quite familiar with them, having ties with the Corrigin region via family and business, and having lived and worked in the area for many years. Max Lockyer, who I am pretty sure, was Pauls grandfather, was a pioneer on White Wells Station at Ninghan, and his son Ted moved to Corrigin to farm after WW2.
Max was a flight engineer during WW2, and typical of most country West Australians, was resourceful, independent, possessed great initiative, and was exceptionally skilled with mechanical ability.
Paul read the evening ABC news in Perth for many years, and was particularly well-liked.

White Wells Station history .. The Charles Darwin Reserve Community History - Australian Bush Heritage

I am also saddened to hear of the loss of the pilot and cameraman, neither of whom I knew, but it's obvious they were skilled veterans of their trades and also commanded respect, and were also well-liked. This is indeed a black week for aviation.