PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Single engine taxi out?
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2011, 22:52
Sky Wave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I managed 2 single engine taxi outs at LGW yesterday without screwing up. I'm sure there were many many more aircraft that used the procedure since we were on 08R, therefore 4 aircraft failing to accept a line up is not bad odds. (Assuming you're referring to LGW) As greenfreddie noted those that couldn't accept may of had cabin problems or perhaps didn't have intersection figures.

Perhaps if you look for solutions to the problem rather than just berating us it may help. You've stated that taxi times were 30 minutes. That means any aircraft that started both engines together were pissing away fuel for 25 minutes for no good reason.

It takes about 4 minutes to start the second engine and get the checks done. It's usually obvious when you need to start the engine as you can see how many aircraft are in front of you on your section of taxiway.

The only time that i would think people could get caught out is if they have a long slot which subsequently comes forward. When I've been in this situation I've advised the tower that we only had one engine running and they called us as soon as the slot disappeared to tell us to start our engine. Worked like a dream and not exactly rocket science.

SW

Last edited by Sky Wave; 20th Aug 2011 at 13:24.