PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2011, 20:42
Clandestino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lyman
If the a/c can get into a STALL, it should be able to get out the STALL with Elevators.
There's no such certification requirement as it would be impractical to design aeroplane this way - please refer to DP Davies' masterpiece, page 35 onwards. Also it is entirely possible to certify passenger transport aeroplane that once stalled, cannot be unstalled by anything except improbable amount of luck, produce it in hundreds and have fly around for decades in statistically acceptable safety. It's not A330, if you wonder. Again, DP Davies' work is painfully relevant. Surprisingly to some, not me.

why would -13 PU be available
To meet certification requirements of stability and maneuverability at diferent speeds, altitudes, weights, configurations and CG positions.

Originally Posted by Jcjeant
Why the THS still full up .. when the plane know (seem's the pilots no) he is in a full stall
With all three ADIRUs losing speed signal, aeroplane is so confused as to know nothing. Mind you, I 've used "confused" and "know" figuratively. No computer installed on A330 is intelligent therefore it really doesn't know anything and it cannot be possibly puzzled. It works within limits of its instruction code.

THS went up to trim aeroplane into AoA it could not possibly sustain. Triggering condition was sidestick pitch command.

Originally Posted by airtren
It is clear that the silent trim was not helpful in that stressful situation
There's good chance that even if there were trim in motion aural warning, it would be overridden by stall warning. OTOH, simple mechanical device like bicycle bell would be heard all the time during normal ops and probably wouldn't be noticed after a couple hundred of hours in flightdeck.

Originally Posted by GarageYears
My understanding is that the elevators alone can override the THS.
They can't. DP Davies explains why, page 35 and on.

Originally Posted by lomapaseo
It is not enough to change the pitot tube alone when clearly a system fault was not accomodated to continued safe flight and landing.
There were at least six cases of total airspeed indication loss due high altitude icing before 447 on AF 330/340 fleet alone and allegedly there were about 30 cases worldwide. That every affected flight, bar one, continued and ended safely somewhat contradicts the notion of systemic failure.

Originally Posted by jcjeant
So .. dont fly in ice crystal area ..
If not able to detect ice crystal .. don't fly in the areas when this is the possibility to meet them .. forget fuel sparing .. fly safe !
Big chunk of my flying is done through clouds made of ice crystals and I have never had my pitots frozen. Not every ice crystal will stick to your probes or compressors and ideas when and where can we encounter the dangerous type are currently extremely vague. If we were to avoid every CB plume in the sky, soon we'd measure our deviations in hundreds of miles and schedules would become a joke.

Originally Posted by 3holelover
It seems to me....
...that many of you are looking for all sorts of things that either automation or aircraft systems of one sort or another could have done/be done in future to help in this situation, while forgetting that flying is an inherently dangerous undertaking that has, for eons now, been made rather routine by simply training pilots how to handle their machines.
You are not mistaken. Not a little bit.

Flying is NOT inherently Dangerous, that is a bromide, and demonstrable for those of us who hang on to the hero pilot meme.

It is inherently SAFE, as the statistics PROVE.
Utter lie, no, not even a lie, it is pure BS. Flying is fantastically dangerous. Statistics is hard science and can't prove inherent safety of anything at all. What your numerology that you have the cheek to call statistics fails to appreciate is how everyone in aviation needs to work his or her butt off to make potentially very lethal activity into something that the ignorant considers safe based solely on outcomes.

If only sheer ugliness of twisted bits of metal that used to be an aeroplane, now littering the seafloor or some mountainside, breaks up your dream of flight being safe because it's not dangerous in first place, don't come to PPRuNe for lullaby to put you back to sleep.