PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2 dead in Vic NW of Melb at Wallup
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2011, 19:42
framer

Received 494 Likes on 132 Posts
So what we are gunna end up with is someone with an IFR aeroplane and rating, toying with freezing levels and and aeroplane not equipped to be there.....just great, remove one danger and replace it with another
There will always be risk, but I think it would be a more acceptable level of risk if there was no 'quasi-ifr' rating. Thats just my opinion. If AF wanted a flight to end within 30 mins of ECT and they didn't have the option of a VFR flight to do it, they would schedule an IFR pilot or wait. The difference being that the pilot has done more training and the aircraft is better equiped. Tracking A-B at MSA on a radial is easier than scooting around hills in the dark.
You've forgotten that this does not appear to be a NVMC accident.
Fair point. This may or may not have anything to do with the NVFR rating. If it turns out that he had one though, I contend that that would have placed pressure on him to continue to destination utilizing the rating when it became obvious that it was getting dark and that if he didn't have the rating he may have made different choices.
But you're right. This accident may have nothing to do with having the rating. If he was only day VFR qualified though It's harder for me to understand the decision making process.