PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Severe Turbulence
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2011, 18:23
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The best way as a pilot is to go with it I have even slapped my side and proclaimed " Ride em cowboy "
In twins and being slightly hair light I can remember going to the hairdresser after a heavy flight in a twin and the hairdresser pointing out a 1 inch cut from hitting the roof so belt in and hold onto something?
PAX are the big problem especially in GA where even in jets you have that personal contact the crew of heavies do not.
There is nothing much you can do but warn them, make little of the turbulence, slow down or change levels.
Some PAX love turbulence! Probably the type who love fairground rides. Yes I have had some who get a buzz from turbulence.
At the other end of the scale some think the wings are about to fall off reassure them with tales of this is nothing you wouldnt believe what these birds will tolerate.
Smile, look calm, joke tell them that everyone on the radio is complaining even the heavies otherwise they will think its just you or the aircraft is not up to it!
Even then some will be petrified.

Really do read your PAX especially in the company I can remember flying a lady in a private jet.Not a turbulence thing but something quite beautiful.

We were on auto at FL370 over the Alps with the most stunning views of the Alps covered in snow I had seen. We came to a sharp turning point and the aircraft banked to the new course.

Grabbing my camera I clicked a few shots.

The owner rang me stating that the female PAX had complained that I was doing steep turns over the Alps taking photos!!! I pointed out that I was very unlikely to be handflying at 37K in RVSM airspace? So beware of PAX if your in Ear or eye shot of them!!!

I am not an airline pilot but I do think airliners will ride out turbulence because they want to stay on track to keep to their schedule, whereas a private pilot with passengers is more likely to do something about it.

Also airliners fly high where there often is clear air turbulence over long distances (the jet stream) whereas at GA altitudes, say FL100-FL200, once you are above the clouds the air is normally completely calm. I have done plenty of 4-7hr IFR flights and none of them had any significant turbulence enroute.

The worst turbulence I have ever experienced was between 20 K and 30K over the Alps and not clear air turbulence but mountain enduced so dont believe that assumption.
No the airlines or business jets dont just ride out turbulence to keep on track. We request (sorry demand massive deviations to avoid large CBs)
Clear air turbulence gives little option other than to climb or descend and reduce speed but stick on track.
What do light GA pilots do lower level? Land!!!

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 18th Aug 2011 at 18:51.