PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2011, 18:21
VGCM66

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are pilot, you better know what you are getting into. Nobody is building any airplanes that flies by itself. If you as a pilot do not comprehend the meaning and the peril of what a stall is and it's dreadful implication and possible fatal consequence, you have no business being in a cockpit and even less being in charge.
I am no pilot but even I know that when flying the main objective is not to FALL as in hitting Mother Earth FALL. By the time Altitude became meaningful again in that AF447 cockpit, it was too late.

THS did what it was supposed to do. If the PF wouldn't have applied NU for more than 3/4 of the 4 minutes (give or take)of the incident opening and closing the THS would have never moved at all.
ND would have probably brought the THS down if application of the SS would have lasted long enough.

The pitots have already been dealt with by the industry which incidentally just acted in flight AF447 as a casual instigators of life eternal pop test quizzes.

A captain knowing that bad weather was approaching ahead, decided it was a good time to leave the cabin. Say what?

The PNF (First Officer and probably future candidate for Captain) heard at 02 h 10 min 10,4 : SV : “Stall, stall” (without cricket). And he said: What is that? EXCUSE ME? "You ain't a passenger Mr.! You should and ought to know what STALL, STALL means preferably waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy before that tragic night. On top, later he can be heard desperately calling for the captain to come back to the cockpit. Don't know, but I think he was supposed to have acted as replacement captain not a captain caller. A pilot might need schooling to learn how to recover from a Stall of any kind but he/she does not need a whole schooling to learn that a Stall might get you kill along with all your passengers. That's my take.

And then there is the young PF. What can we say that can bring some meaning, reason or just some measurement of mitigation? That he was young, maybe? Not even.

A flaw was finally found and subsequently corrected in the Comet. But no R-E-D-E-S-I-N-G was ever made except for the upgrade to the Comet 4. They serve their time proud and tall afterwards. There are almost 1,000 A330 already made and in service. Any major redesign will be just done on newer future versions of Wide Body Twin Engine Models.