PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2011, 16:01
airtren

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jcjeant,

If I read again your previous post, I think it is quite a bit about semantics.

It is easy to agree with your saying that the "pitot tube was not faulty", as I take that as the "pitot tubes were not defective", as the pitot tubes functioned normally in different conditions than those when they failed.

But even if they were not faulty, they did fail, as a device can fail, without being defective, when in an abnormal operation conditions.

But, IMO, you're raising a high threshold for yourself in saying: "The pitot tube operated normally .. as required by its specifications and certifications". The "required" implies IMO that the language in the specs/certifications is strong, some wording that is equivalent to the combination /MUST/MUST NOT/, i.e., mandate the freezing in the conditions of their failure, and mandate the providing of inaccurate information in the condition of their failure.

Are you sure about meeting that threshold? ...

"
The Pitot tube was not faulty
The pitot tube operated normally .. as required by its specifications and certifications
The problem is that the measuring instrument has been used outside his operating range
Ice crystals is not a area for use Pitot tube .. it's not in the certifications
As the plane went well until he was out of its flight envelope".
Originally Posted by jcjeant
Hi,

lomapaseao
The Pitot tube is not only a part of it .. it's the most important part of it
Remove from the plane the Pitot tube and you have no more speed measuring system at all
The AF447 case proven this.
The best solution at today date is to use the Pitot tube in his domain of certification
So .. dont fly in ice crystal area ..
If not able to detect ice crystal .. don't fly in the areas when this is the possibility to meet them .. forget fuel sparing .. fly safe !

Last edited by airtren; 18th Aug 2011 at 16:15.