PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Put me off, please.
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2011, 12:55
redsnail

PPRuNe Handmaiden

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
I am fortunate in that I am not an airline pilot. However, I do fly a jet.

The dislikes? Well, it's just happened. We tried to coordinate 2 pilot rosters to go to Oktoberfest but because someone in crewing/rostering in the other airline, an error was made. Thus, we have wasted a bit of money.
Planning your lives is what is frustrating. "Normal" jobs generally mean weekends off. No such luck with aircrew.

You will miss birthdays etc.

Other than that, I really enjoy my job. For sure, it has it's moments. Like loading heavy bags or cleaning the lav. However, I do have a very good job. It's interesting and we do have pretty good support.

Generally, it's not the flying that is the source of frustration, it's dealing with management. (and security) (oh and Spanish ATC)

If you've done the sums, worked out a reasonable plan, understand the reality of gaining a decent paying job after flight school, and you won't unduly risk your financial future and your family's future (if you have one), then go for it. (and medically ok)

What I find insane is how people are so apparently ready to throw an enormous amount of money at this industry on the say so from some slick sales pitch. Yes, jets is where the money is (or was), but the apprenticeship is best served on a turboprop. You don't need to spend +£80K for that. (Although, sadly, hiring for jets in recent times seems to ignore the pilot flying turboprops produces - all things being equal)

(See Beazelbub's view re low hour v jet jobs in the UK etc for balance. It's sobering reading. Especially with the recent hiring patterns from easyJet and Ryanair)

Last edited by redsnail; 18th Aug 2011 at 13:11.