PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JET AIRWAYS
Thread: JET AIRWAYS
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2011, 11:32
captjns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jet Airways may be the best carrier to be employed with in India.

Have not heard great things about Spice or Indian Express.

Accommodations are provided paid for by Jet in good hotels.

On full payroll when one reports for training.

Crew transport provided to and from training and the airport for flying duties.

Good Mx.

Good food allowances when on layover, also at good hotels.

Business Class, space available, to and from home during block off.

Monthly pay in the pocket net of taxes going up to $9,500 effective 1st, Oct.

Friends and Colleagues of mine on the B737 are enjoying the flying over there. But at the end of the day expat flying is not for everyone.
The south of India where the Indian Ocean, Arabian Sea and the Bay of Bengal mix is quite nice. Lots of tourist from Europe flock there. Excellent sea food in abundance and quite safe to eat. The North in the mountains is beautiful too for hiking. The air is pure too.If one has been to and lived in India, then perhaps one has the right to make comment as one deems appropriate.

Now regarding the Indian Medical. There is some truth to the fact that the decision making process by the Indian Air Force Medical Examiners is arbitrary and capricious. However that is in the minority. The majority of the doctors are fair-minded. Yes it has been related to me that the standards of the Indian Air Force are greater than that of perhaps the FAA, or EASA. However as I understand one submits to a thorough pre-medical about two weeks before their scheduled medicals in either Bangalore or Delhi. I have not heard any objections to the premedical. Nobody complained about the lack of cleanliness of the medical facilities or the professionalism of the staff. In fact compliments have been given in Chennai, and Mumbai. I’ve been told the cost for a total fitness exam including x-ray, stress test, sonogram, blood work, and consultation averages about $75 to $100 US. Anyway I’ve heard their companies reimburse the expats for their pre-medicals and cab fare to and from the hospitals. Not a bad investment in one’s health nor profession to say the least. Some of contemporaries I know and spoken to who have been through the process, especially the older ones, were happy to learn they had correctible problems.

When you think about it most may have to submit to six medicals a year. Two from their home country (FAA)… two pre-medicals, and two Air Force Medicals. Some from Europe only need one medical a year thus only five would be required from them. After the first major initial medical, normal medicals are given for the next 2 ½ years. Then the process repeats itself again.

However, they feel that the company doctors may have dropped the ball by allowing them to proceed for the Indian Air Force for their medicals. When at the IAM facility and the doctors have questions or issues on the reports they will require additional testing to rule out any abnormalities or problems. In a way it’s a way to cover their butts.

Personally, I’ve been through the CAAC medical, and it sounds similar to the Indian Medical. At least in India the medical can be postponed if the results of the premedical are less than favorable. In China you are sent away to correct the deficiency and return for a re-examination and a hopeful pass.

Perhaps if all the airlines hired retired Indian Air Force Medical Examiners as consultants, the results could be better and the procedure less painful. But that’s just part of the game.

The Indian Air Force have only their own guidelines to abide by as they do not follow the ICAO medical standards.

Besides Ethiopian and Fly Dubai, India is offering opportunities for those in their golden years who are not ready to hang up their goggles. With that being a thorough medical examination should be taken before reporting for training.

They younger guys and gals have greater options to choose from.