PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Haddon-Cave, Airworthiness, Sea King et al (merged)
Old 18th Aug 2011, 09:17
Tourist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Nimrod was a very effective aircraft, possibly the best in world at its role/s

There is a happy medium, and nowadays we are nowhere near it and heading further up our own @rses in the search for a perfect safety record.
We all know the only way to achieve that.

The current thinking would never allow some of the worlds finest or most needed aircraft to fly.

AAR Hercules
Seaking Mk7!
U2
Space Shuttle
Concorde
Zero
Lynx
Harrier
ME262
ME161
Mosquito
All of these have obvious risks, but were still world beaters.

I object to people who come on Pprune with problems understanding simple causality.

ie

Seaking Mk7 had strobes which did not have every single i dotted in the paperwork.

Seaking Mk7s crash into each other.

Therefore Strobe caused or was implicated in the crash.

Total crap.

Find me one Seaking pilot who thinks it was a factor. We used to turn the old strobes off at low level as well!!!!

I am not sure if you are aware, but when aircraft are in formation, it is usual to dim or turn off the strobes because they are blinding and irritating. Does this mean that the strobes are unfit for purpose?
Should we ban formation until we develop a strobe that neither strobes irritatingly or is bright enough to blind?

Or do we just accept that all things have their limitations.