PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A10 Thunderbolts in UK?
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2011, 07:40
BEagle

Received 279 Likes on 113 Posts
Not me, Guv! Although a year or so earlier I did once rattle the windows at a lady friend's house on a direct track between Chard reservoir and the spies' wireless station at Trickey Warren which we were using as an IP for a bombing run.....

The USAFE A-10 pilots were always very good at passing low level position reports on the UKLF UHF frequency, bless them.... So, shortly after GW1 when I'd returned to child abuse at the UAS, I was pottering around LFA4 in one of HM's mighty Bulldogs with an air experience Shrivenham student in the seat, when we heard a brace of A-10s announcing their intentions.

So the horns came out. A bit of mental arithmetic and some devious lurking meant that I was well placed to appear from behind a well-known hill in the Vale of Evesham to roll in on them. Well as best you can in a Bulldog... Sure enough they spotted us, called the threat and did their defensive break manouevre. We had a brief "Were you there too?" chat on the frequency, then went our separate ways.

There was still fun to be had back then....