PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2011, 04:35
airtren

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lyman
I think PNF 'knew'. In the sense that he saw, felt and heard cues that prompted his scolds. I hesitate to say specifically (sometimes) that the ss was visible to PNF. I am not persuaded this is a flaw.
You think he "knew". ... But he didn' know, as he could only assume, or suspect, or infer, but not see directly, and thus know for sure.

IMO, the efficient and easy synchronization between the two pilots is a major Goal of the cockpit design. That Goal seems to be achieved with only one exception, which is the stick. Currently the active stick is controlled almost in complete secrecy, as the other pilot has no easy and natural ability to directly see what's going on with it.

I suspect that the PF's problem was that he was confused about the Neutral position, and instead of Neutral, he kept the stick off Neutral in a NU position.

Had that been clearly, and easily visible to the PNF, and later by the Captain, they would have reacted either by pointing that out, or simply taking the control away.