PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2011, 03:31
3holelover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems to me....
...that many of you are looking for all sorts of things that either automation or aircraft systems of one sort or another could have done/be done in future to help in this situation, while forgetting that flying is an inherently dangerous undertaking that has, for eons now, been made rather routine by simply training pilots how to handle their machines.

Yes, you could automate the hell out of the thing, but at some point, somehow, all that automation could easily be counter productive.... Can't you imagine a situation, for instance, where a stab that returns to neutral automatically, might be a bad thing? Maybe it's best to leave the aircraft handling to pilots?
Maybe it's better to train pilots to fly, rather than manage computers?

This aircraft didn't fail. One system alone had what should have been a non earth shattering, temporary fault, due to ice crystals, but then it's pilot(s) failed.

Yes, as I said earlier, I agree there are probably some tweaks that might make sense, but I don't think anyone should get carried away in burying human failure with more complexity and more tacked-on, automated garbage that will wind up fouling somebody else down the road.

As yet, nobody wants to fly in a fully automated, pilotless aircraft. All we need, to get folks to their destination safely, in any serviceable aircraft, is a pilot who knows his machine, and knows how to fly it. That simple formula has been proven to be quite safe. What was missing here wasn't more junk, it was human knowledge and skill. Airmanship.

Does anyone here really believe an aircraft can be made that won't stall? My limited knowledge of aerodynamics and physics tells me, with current aircraft design, that's not possible. So pilots had better know how to recognize and correct for a stall. The surprise to me here, has been learning that hasn't been universally the case. That, imho, needs immediate correction!