PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2011, 01:01
jcjeant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Hi,

DW

I hope that people will also note that I don't see technological solutions as the be-all and end-all, and remain firmly in the "airliners need pilots" camp. I agree that overuse and misuse of automation, largely at the behest of airline executives whose qualifications consist of a trust fund, an MBA and precious little else, has had a negative impact on safety - especially when the automatics decide it is no longer safe for them to continue. However it is this aspect of the airline industry that needs to be tackled, and making automation itself (which as I've said is merely a tool) out to be the bad guy in all of this is, I believe, not only short-sighted but harming the debate that really does need to happen on the subject of hand-flying currency.
You are not a pilot .. exactly like me .. but dreamer (or idealist ?) .. I am not a dreamer
Airlines (that is, banks and other investors and states) have nothing to do with security as primary matter
Their primary purpose is to make a profit and as much as possible .. no matter what.
They have very good analysts who calculate risk ..
They are not adventurers ..
There is too much money at stake (even the governments economy are involved)
As long as return is positive (taking into account the accidents already planned in advance "statistics" .. .. ..insurances premiums an extra charges .. etc. ..) companies will invest no more in security if the balance is good
More .. regulators and legislators of aviation safety make it the least possible disruption to the business of these companies because these regulators are often associated with the states .. must promote civil aviation .. and must protect the country's assets
A few hundred lives per year and some insurance premiums and an extra charge are nothing compared to the financial and political stakes.
A good trial to satisfy the families .. a maximum dilution of responsibility .. and after a few months nobody talks about and the business can continue as usual .
This is the reality we see when awake .. at the end of the dream

Last edited by jcjeant; 18th Aug 2011 at 01:14.