PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2011, 17:52
GarageYears

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lyman:

Through hook or by crook you continue (and have done under previous user names) to incite, infer and apportion blame, either explicitly or otherwise, in all directions, other than in the lap of the fella with his hand on the controls. Or do I misunderstand you?

At one point you were campaigning vigorously that the V/S had snapped off in mid-air... despite a lot of evidence to the contrary. You got quite animated.... but were quite wrong. In fact that has been your operating mode since pretty much day 1.

This was not the first UAS instance affecting an Airbus - but unless I am mistaken, it is the first that ended up in the Ocean. So, were the prior successful UAS occurrences luck? The aircraft systems were the same. The same cockpit displays, controls, warning tones, etc. What was different? The fella charged with flying the aircraft... yep, that is one identifiable difference.

Yes, the human got it wrong. Why can't you accept that? It seems as if that simple concept is somehow entirely implausible. It MUST be the planes fault.

Can the plane be improved? Yes, I suspect so - better support information for the human, perhaps MORE automation/protections.... better pitots in the first place, etc. But ultimately the PF is sitting up front because there ARE failures, things drop off, or break, and since autonomous flight is not (yet) desired, "we" (collectively, as a flight community) believe that the best outcome will come with a trained crew in the front seats. In this case, the crew lined up the holes in many slices of cheese in a particularly unfortunate order.

As has been more eloquently put by others, what should have been a log-book entry, became a disaster. Deal with it.