PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another arthritis thread......
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2011, 17:41
hellsbrink

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another arthritis thread......

.... But not one about being able to be a pilot.

I thought I would maybe tap into the collective knowledge here in the hope of some advice/answers.

OK, short background bit. Recently had a barrage of blood tests, xrays and even an ultrasound on my wrists to check for Rheumatoid Arthritis, and all is clear on that front. Officially the word is I have Osteoarthritis running rampant through me, especially in my lower back where the signs are VERY clear around the areas of degrading disks (D11, L3, L4, L5) and the dislocation at L3 (further investigation higher up on my spine has not been carried out, so there may be other problems). Also, one is having a heck of a lot of swelling and pain in both hands and wrists, with pain "on the bone". Not fun when you lose strength in your hands and they hurt when you grip things, and we won't go into the cramps and pains I get down my legs.

After years of popping various pills from various doctors, we're talking assorted NSAID's, Vioxx, Diclofanac (Voltarol), Piroxicam and others, with no effect, and the overuse of Tramadol which has left that stuff ineffective unless I kick up to almost half a gram per day, the latest suggestion is Arcoxia (etoricoxib). I have to wait before I get it as my health insurance has to approve it, but that should be a formality as all other "conventional" treatments have not worked at controlling the pain (that goes for Glucosamine Sulphate and Amitriptyline as well, and also physio), so I am taking the chance before starting them, if I get to, to ask if anyone has any experience of this drug and, of course, if anyone has any suggestions for alternatives and/or other treatments that might keep me working a bit longer.

Luckily my work is relatively light work, there's no real heavy lifting so that helps keep the stress on the worn out bits down. My blood/urine tests are good, with almost everything in the "normal" band (apart from a few pointers for Rheuma which were slightly elevated, liver function is good, cholesterol is good, uric acid is good, no diabetes, etc, etc. I was shocked to find that I am in relatively good health), and blood pressure is "ok" but a little towards the high side.

Any help/advice will be greatly received.

Thanks