PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Pan and return to Heathrow
Old 18th Oct 2002, 22:24
Notso Fantastic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<it was intended to transfer all pax to T06 but the flightcrew were too shaken so pax went to hotels.>

I think you could have been a bit more sensitive in your 'statement'. Let's have a look at this- 2 pilots, airborne at about 2300 LT for Nigeria, flying for an hour or so, return, aeroplane change. Exactly HOW LONG would you like 2 pilots on duty overnight? I rather suspect they would be outraged at your 'too shaken' expression. From all I have read, 2 professionals handled a relatively minor technical problem sensibly, returning to the airport where repairs can be most efficiently carried out (like HOME BASE), and not surprisingly, unloading all those passengers (and baggage) and loading them onto a new aeroplane (and fueling it, catering it) can not really be done at 3-5am (when there are no such staff available anyway- it IS the middleof the night!). Quite unreal- I expect the operation was cancelled to the next day. Be very careful what and how you say it- if it was me involved, I would have been seeing a Solicitor today about your report, and your 'anonymity' in Pprune will not last 5 minutes once legal people start sniffing around.

As a matter of interest, it is now becoming recognised that after involvement in even a relatively minor problem (uncomplicated engine failures etc), it is better not to immediately work pilots- as in get them airborne again to destination as soon as possible. there have been several cases of delayed shock where people have felt most uncomfortable continuing. We are not in any 'war' situation where all out effort is required, and so like if you bump your car on the way to work, sometimes it is more sensible to take the day off rather than press on, particualrly if you are going to be responsible for a large number of passengers. A little more sense and sensitivity from you would reasonably have been expected.