PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Strategic Airlines - UK
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2011, 12:57
cubemaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I flew LGW to ZTH on STU2742 on 31/7/11.
It was an A320. Seat space was typical cattle class but the seats were decent quality leather. The flight left LGW 35 minutes late but that wasn't bad since the plane had already done MAN to ZTH and ZTH to LGW so far that day and had left MAN 1hr 30min late.

I was somewhat bemused that they kept the seatbelt signs illuminated for over 30 mins after takeoff, I would have expected them off after around 20 mins. The aisle was occupied by trolleys for over half the 3 hour flight (drinks service,meal service, drinks again, 'duty free'), some what slow service, and so that caused problems for those heading off to the loos.
CC seemed to be pleasant enough and handled the club 18-30ers with tact.

I didn't sample their food/drink but it was advertised at the usual charter/LCC prices.

I returned on 14/8/11 ZTH to LGW on STU2743 - same plane.
The flight left 2:30hrs late - attributed by various announcements to MAN ATC delaying the previous leg (Man to ZTH) and ZTH ATC delaying the previous leg. (It had arrived 2:30 late at ZTH)
Like my 31/7/11 flight seatbelt signs illuminated until 30mins after takeoff and the aisle was blocked by trolleys for much of the flight.

Landing at Gatwick was a little different!
Touchdown was heavier than a typical landing, enough for a few people to comment, but the landing was after floating above the runway for longer than usual. That's OK, not all landings are the same and it wasn't worryingly heavy. It was the announcement whilst on the taxi way that made it sufficiently different .....
"Due to a weight imbalance problem .... when we have arrived at the gate will passengers in rows 1 to 6 please remain seated whilst some of the passengers from the rear of the aircraft disembark".
Passengers in rows 1-6 duly sat in seats whilst rows 7-18(me) disembark.
CC let 1-6 move just as I passed through the door.
I left rows 1-6 and 19-31 to fight it out.

Overall my flights were much the same as on any other charter/LCC carrier.

I was aware whilst on holiday that some Strategic flights on 18/8/11 had long delays. A notice at my hotel informed of a 4-5 hour delay for a ZTH to LGW flight and stated the reason as 'delay on a previous leg and using an alternative aircraft minimise further delays' ... the perils of a charter company which has about 2 aircraft !

Cubemaster.