PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EFATO at EASA Florida today (10 July 2011)
Old 17th Aug 2011, 11:47
I'll Be Realistic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do not want to side with OBA / EASA but I can't can agree with the posts here insisting on name and shame.

Is insurance a requirement for the business being conducted? Is it the CAA's responsibility to enforce this? I don't think this comes under their remit.

They are responsible for enforcing standards under the JAR's and thats it. Lets not give them additional powers / standards to enforce.

There must be some level of responsibility on the students shoulders here. They are not a passenger. They caused the flight to take place by asking an instructor to take them into the air. I'm not saying they are 100% responsible but they should take some care to ensure all aspects are covered from their stand point.

If you rent a car and turn down damage waiver which is extra, you are responsible.

If you go into a resturant to eat a steak recommended by Gordon Ramsey, GR is not responsible for ensuring that the restauant has sufficient insurance if you slip in the bathroom, or if you happen to get food poisoning.

When they tax a london bus, the DVLA check insurance is valid on the day of issuing the tax disk, but they are not responsible for ensuring continued coverage.

The PM said it well this week, and I paraphrase:

We should promote personal responsibility, not entitlement.

Do your leg work guys before you fly with anyone, both in the USA and the UK. Ask questions, demand answers. Don't assume it is someone else responisbility to ensure you are covered.

Again, not supporting OBA (its the last thing I would ever do). But no more regulations please. We will end up like the Roman Empire else!