PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Waddington 1960 "Delta 8-3"
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2011, 10:34
Warmtoast

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
RAF Waddington 1960 "Delta 8-3"

A month or so ago Sky Arts 2 broadcast a 1960's film from the Harold Baim collection titled "Delta 8-3". I recorded it and attach some screen shots of the crews involved.

According to the description:

Harold Baim examines life on Waddington Air Base in Lincolnshire, looking at the intensive training undergone by the pilots who flew the Delta Wing Vulcan Bombers in the Cold War. (1960) with a detailed look at Britain's 1960 Vulcan Delta-Wing Bomber Force with iconic images of our "Cold War" nuclear defences.
We watch the training of a new crew for V-bomber "Delta 8-3" described as "dedicated to Peace".
Based at RAF Waddington the V force proves to the world "Britain can play her part"
The title "Delta 8-3" is I assume an allusion to 83 Sqn who were based at Waddington at the time flying Vulcans.

It's being repeat broadcast on Sky Arts 2 and Sky Arts 2 HD on Friday 26th August at 18.00 so well worth recording (in HD) if you're on Sky or Virgin.

Two days earlier Sky Arts 2 is rebroadcasting another aviation related film - "Floating Fortress" showing HMS Victorious hard at work in 1959.
This is on Sky Arts 2 and Sky Arts 2 HD on Wednesday 24th August at 18.00.

I was under the impression that both these films were on YouTube, but can't find then listed.

I wonder whether among the "golden oldies" who frequent this forum they recognise former colleagues or friends? See below:

I was never at Waddington and none of the crews shown are known to me.