PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BMI
Thread: BMI
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2011, 08:58

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LD12986
I would not rule out a deal with BA/IAG to dispose of slots if LH decide to downsize BD
I personally did not think that an airline actually owned slots at LHR. Yes they have rights over the slots, if they have been appointed them but actually they merely just safekeep them. For example, if an airline doesn't use their allocated slots effectively and cancel flights regularly, they can be withdrawn by the airport authority and returned to the slot pool.

An airline can lease the slots or can sell them to a partner airline (on the basis that they will continue to operate the service) but effectively the slot remains with the appointed original carrier.

So I don't see how LH vicariously through bmi, can dispose of slots directly to BA. They would have to hand them back to the slot pool and BA would hope that there were no potential rival bidders for the released slots. Not only that, there would be no guarantee of achieving the value that the original holder may believe are attached to the returned slots.

All the above comes from bits and pieces that I have read or heard from wiser people than I. So if anyone can confirm or deny the above, with further substantiating facts, I'd be interested to hear them.

For my tuppence, I think that it's up to BA/IAG to make a sensible offer to LH, an offer that LH can't refuse, in order to guarantee the acquistion of the slots. Even then they may have to return a couple of the slots to the slot pool in order to appease other LHR carriers.