PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Haddon-Cave, Airworthiness, Sea King et al (merged)
Old 16th Aug 2011, 07:35
alfred_the_great

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Chug - how can you have an independent MAA if the person criticising the RAF is dependent on the RAF for his future employment and/or promotion, if not in this job then the next (or the one after that).

I would counter it's not about sending blokes into Op Certain Death, but how many flights of the MR2 (or SK M7 or whatever) took place with no incident? If the risk was 1 in xx,000 flights, then that's acceptable. Indeed, at some points in operational (which isn't the same as being "at war") flying (or any kind of operation), then we should be willing to take risks all the way down to 1 in x00. That decision is for the front line to make, with information provided by the MAA (or whoever).

As for designing in proper safety, yes, absolutely, but lets be honest, ALARP does include cost issues.

Let me be clear here, I have no issue with the MAA (or whoever) exposing risk, but that, to my mind, is the limit of their purview. In concert with that are properly informed Officers who can make front line decisions, which may result in deaths for which they should not be unduly criticised.