PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2011, 21:47
Clandestino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree that just keeping attitude and power that were there when UAS is encountered is pretty good tactic for dealing with UAS. however, drill I was taught was quite good too and it's not add 5 degrees pitch, it's achieve and maintain 5° pitch above FL100 or MSA, which would make whopping 2.5° pitch up from usual cruise attitude, or at least that was the way I was taught on the bus. That attitude combined with climb power was calculated to keep one away from overspeed and stall so I find FCTM warning (we didn't use Airbus documentation, ours was airline tailored) about possible overspeed a bit worrying. PJ2, could you please post what are current memory items for 330 if crew somehow concludes that safe conduct of flight is indeed jeopardized by having unreliable speed?

Originally Posted by PJ2
It can be reasonably posited, though of course not confirmed, that the PF executed the pitch-up as a result of pitot failure and the memorized response, intended for the takeoff phase only. There is no other reason that makes sense as to why the PF would instantly pitch the aircraft up to approximately 15degrees.
Reminds me of misapplied tailplane stall procedure theory that was put forward when Colgan 3407 went down. Are they really plausible or are we're doing our best to distract our minds from the scary picture of startled pilots shedding the most elementary pilot skills and trying to climb away from something only they could see and force their aeroplanes where they were absolutely incapable of going?