PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BOURNEMOUTH - 2
Thread: BOURNEMOUTH - 2
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2011, 21:42
Osprey123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BOH Best Airport

Sorry - But I find it difficult to support such a comment - Managerially, and marketing wise, the airport is a mess, I'm not even sure MAG have a clear picture as to what's going on, and do they really care, I have my doubts.

We start getting somewhere and then the parking charges (I know its old news, but a very valid point, the excuse a poor winter and the 'airports' need to recoup some of their loses) followed closely by a badly timed and very serious hike in fee's even for home based aircraft - exactly what are/were they thinking!!!

I REALLY hate being so negative, especially when it relates to BOH. I have worked there on and off in a number of roles from the old Dan-Air/Channex days, through to today with Thomson (+ their odd long-haul stuff) and Ryanair, adding a bit of Air Berlin, Thomas Cook and Easyjet.

I am, and have been very passionate about BOH, and that is how it remains, however I can't help but get the feeling its too little, and too damn late - the improvements are great but for what, expected capacities were grossly inaccurate, and by present standards I'm having difficulty seeing any light at the end of this darkening tunnel.

The marketing arm is now in place, but it is in my view just too late, maybe they can work miracles for this winter and then on into next summer, and I hope they can, but with respect this department should have been in place (selling the airport) at the planning stage, or at the latest when the improvements began - the airport really needs to wake up and smell the coffee, unfortunately I think they are suffering from a permanent cold, and can't smell anything.

Sorry, but unless someone, from some department somewhere says 'enough is enough', and acts to get things moving, all that will remain of BOH will be its alter-ego 'doing nothing more than night freight' , and exist as a summer charter airport, and wasting all that investment. absolute madness - the airport could have been (maybe it still could be) the jewel in Dorset's Crown, and a little gold-mine.

I really hope it can.