PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Favourite Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2011, 21:37
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
My, my TS - what have you started?!

Perhaps our favourite is our first? But let me first address myself to applaud notlangley for his post on the end of the world as we loved it to be ... I travelled only once on the magnificent machine. It was in her closing days and I learnt (through this forum) that BA were running a deal of one-way Supersonic and then return regular. There were to be a 1,000 seats for the Brits and the opposite 1,000 rides for the Americans.

I hoped to get a seat to go to a wedding I had been invited to in NY state but in the end I just took the date they offered. So 8th August 2003 saw me on G-BOAC (I LOVED having that registration) and I just went. I had already visited the USA that year and there was no reason to go.

Further, I was totally broke and had to put the £2,300 fee on to plastic and take a week off work [I'm self employed so I lost money]. On my return, I got trapped by the NYC and North East power outage and had another three days in the USA and lost more money. (Travel insurance paid but even their maximum did not cover it)

As I was at checking in I though: "YOU IDIOT! Why try and make a boyhood dream come true? This is doomed to be less than anything I thought and I'll be standing at the JFK carousel thinking, 'That was a waste of money'. Can I cash in my ticket now?"

I didn't and when I was at the JFK carousel I was thinking, "Oh Wow. Oh Wow. Oh Wow." I shall not bore you with a minute by minute description but it is seared into my memory. All the money was irrelevant.

Whilst waiting for departure, I was sent many text (SMS) msgs by family and friends the most memorable of which was: 'Is that a cell phone in your pocket - or are you just VERY pleased to see the Concorde?' It might have been a bit of both ...