PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways DEP Selection - THE lowdown Part 1
Old 15th Aug 2011, 20:16
On-MarkBob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BA's Direct Entry Pilot Recruitment

I just tried the new BA D/E pilot recruitment questions on line. My application was terminated at the "have you any military experience" question. I haven't so it just stopped there. I did the test again but this time I put 'yes' in answer to the question and it went immediately to the next stage. So much for BA being an 'equal opportunities employer', Apart from discriminating against civilian trained pilots, it also (conveniently perhaps) discriminates very largely against women, black people and a host of excellent European pilots. I, and many others no doubt, have all and more of the experience they require and advertise for, including type ratings for some of their aircraft.

Has anyone noticed that you can only get a pilot job these days if you already have a pilot job. Unless you are current and have flown in the last six months, you can't get a job. At some time, someone’s going to work out that there are pilots to fill the vacancies, but all they need is an OPC/LPC and 'Bob’s your Heinkel'. Most companies would have to put you in the SIM first in any case. It's Barmy. I blame these recruitment agencies that have taken over the pilot workforce; they think that if you haven't flown for a year, you must stupid and must have forgotten everything you ever knew about flying. I'm quite sure the average Chief Pilot wouldn't consider himself unemployable after a year out of work, or would he? Maybe these folk should not judge others by their own capabilities and in any case, maybe it’s time to put WWII and the bravery of “THE FEW” behind us and accept the fact that the RAF is now not the only place you can train to be a pilot!!