PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot handling skills under threat, says Airbus
Old 15th Aug 2011, 17:09
safetypee

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Tie the ends of the string together.

Microburst2002, “but lack of thoroughness will be always blamed when things go wrong”, possibly, but as with ‘Human Error’ (AvMed.IN) it need not be.
The industry has to move away from error based assessment in order to learn about accidents.
We have to understand what happens in daily operation, why pilots don’t hand fly when they could, why they apparently see and act on aspects which with hindsight appear obvious. We must look at every day operations for this understanding and for the precursors to accidents; this is not entirely FOQA or even LOSA, it is something which every pilot can do independently – a self line check – ‘why did I do that’, ‘what did I see’, ‘what do I understand and why’. And of course we require time and some ability (competency as above) to do that.

If I had to do Resilient Management for air safety …”, why not use self initiated Resilient Management.
We could use How resilient is your organization for guidance. The essential items can be applied to individuals:-
  • The ability to Respond. – Knowing what to do and being capable of doing it.
  • The ability to Monitor. – Knowing what to look for.
  • The ability to Anticipate. – Finding out and knowing what to expect.
  • The ability to Learn. – Knowing what has happened.
These too are flying skills, we must take care not confuse the apparent lack of ‘hands-on’ (physical hand / eye co-ordination) flying skills as an indicator of the problem.

For guidance other than FOQA / LOSA, consider Day-2-Day Safety Survey (page 10).
What would be the key aspects to observe in the flight deck?
Would these help tie the ends of the string together – normal operations // accident contributions?