PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Life after ATC in the RAF
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2011, 16:04
CJCymru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well to be honest, I have lost hope in joining NATS as their website aren't recruiting, and it's been like that for months.

My ideal career would be to work as an Air Traffic Controller somewhere in the UK, and to do that with training fees covered is to join NATS. But I just can't see that happening now. And that is why I've applied for the RAF, as I've also heard that the transition from Military ATC to Civil ATC is possible - and it's been done before. And I did know beforehand that the qualifications you gain in the Military as a controller would be much different to the ones you gain with NATS.

But now I'm beginning to come across old threads with advice (including in this one) stating if your purpose of joining the RAF is to be a AT controller, you just might as well do it with NATS, as it takes even more years of training to be a controller in the UK after you finish in the military.

So now I'm now in limbo not sure what option to take. The most obvious option is to apply for NATS, but they're not looking anywhere near to the point of recruiting anytime soon. But I have heard that Eurocontrol is recruiting, would that be a good option to take? And what's the success rate like roughly with them, would I have a chance joining them being from Wales?

Thanks again