PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Favourite Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2011, 15:35
JWP1938

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The very first commercial flight of wife and self was late-ish 70s. I had always been fanatical about planes but never had the opportunity to fly commercially before. I was just about 40 years old then. It was a BA charter (British Airtours?) from Gatwick to Rhodes, returning a week later. The purser told us that it was the very last 707 in BA's fleet and was due to be retired within a very short time. The flight was brilliant, the service excellent (as many free drinks as you wanted) and the views from the windows awe inspiring. Flying over (then) Yugoslavia, the pilot navigated us between the towering clouds of a massive thunderstorm. The clouds shot up either side of us like a volcanic eruption. Whether we were just lucky or whether he planned it like that I don't know, but the view was spectacular. I know a lot of this post is about the journey but none of the aircraft I have flown in since (747, 737, 767, Tristar, DC10, MD11, BAC111, Airbus, Skyvan air taxi and more) have felt so comfortable in respect of legroom, cleanliness or stability. I understand there are still many 707s in service around the world.