PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Future Pilot Programme (FPP)(Merged)
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2011, 15:34
Rhcriad Bsranon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello All

I’m a newbie and would just like to introduce myself.

Having been in the employ of Her Majesty’s government for more years than I care to remember, I find myself at the grand old age of fifty in the enviable position of being a debt free retiree in receipt of a modest pension. Thankfully, as my wife is in full employment and my children self supporting, despite still living at home, I do not have to work and would like to think that if I chose to do so, it would be something that I’d do for nothing! Which is why, like so many other contributors to this thread, I was overjoyed to learn of British Airways’ new, exciting and inclusive ‘Future Pilot’ programme. Apparently, they’d even welcome applications from individuals of my vintage.

However, this has been tempered somewhat by the gloomy jottings of some of my peers on these pages who venture that the blind submission of an application by the positively geriatric, would almost inevitably lead to the wastage of both time and money. Apparently, the ‘Over 36s’ would experience extreme difficulty assimilating and processing copious amounts of information including getting to grips with even the most basic principles of flying or the manipulation of hard sums like those involved in the weight distribution of an aircraft – perish the thought; to say nothing of glacially slow reactions coupled with the onset of failing eyesight and hearing. I’ll get my coat…….and walking stick

Seriously, folks, I don’t doubt anything suggested by those of you working in the industry and received wisdom is probably right: I’d be lucky to make it through the paper sift. Still, one shouldn’t give up so easily, so to give myself the best possible chance in the unlikely event that I make it to the second stage of the process, are there examples of the pilot’s aptitude test available online or otherwise, or any other type of test employed by the examiners upon which to test yourself? I should be extremely grateful to learn of such and, of course, am willing to reimburse any costs incurred.

Finally, best wishes to all considering an application, especially the young cabin crew member (sincerest apologies for forgetting your username) who I suspect considers flying an unattainable goal; as they old saying goes, “just do it!!”
Wish this opportunity had been available many years ago.