PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF pilots secret raids in Yemen - Telegraph article & Storm Front book (merged)
Old 15th Aug 2011, 13:46
teeteringhead

Gentleman Aviator

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts
Oh come on Jenkins, do keep up - I'd have thought your grasp of geopolitics a bit better than that! And even if it hadn't have been the same Adoo, their Khasab colleagues would have been remarkably encouraged by victory at Mirbat.

As to the "Secret War" aspect, we used to say cynically that the Dhofar War finished before CNN started. That said, there were the occasional TV crews who came to Dhofar. I recall flying some (ITV or BBC, will check logbook) from Salalah up to the Hammers and/or the Dianas. And on the strength of that, put my then current UK "squeeze" (now Milady Teeters) in contact with the TV team - she got a slap-up meal and a tour round the studios when it was transmitted!

I also have (somewhere!) notes of an account of Mirbat from the other (ie Adoo) side. Will post that if I can find it ....... just seen in the Torygraph some details of a campaign started to get "Laba" the posthumous VC he so richly deserved ....MID pshaw!!