PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Haddon-Cave, Airworthiness, Sea King et al (merged)
Old 15th Aug 2011, 13:46
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
Bismark, you are right of course, we do not know for sure why the two Sea Kings collided, or why the Chinook crashed into the Mull of Kintyre. What we do know is that when they did so all three aircraft were unairworthy, as Released To Service. That is the issue here. The Royal Navy chose not to attribute blame to its deceased pilots, and I applaud their humanity, the Royal Air Force decided that theirs were Grossly Negligent and have been obliged to reverse that shameful deed.
The challenge now is to ensure the future airworthiness of the military airfleets so that; not fit for purpose HISLs, dysfunctional FADECs, fuel systems installed contrary to Regulations, fuel tanks unprotected from ballistic impact in AT aircraft, and IFF sets that do not show a visual failure warning are all consigned to the MAAIB's rogues gallery and not HM's aircraft.
You may have given up with me, Bismark, many others have. I will not give up though until the MAA and MAAIB are separate and independent of the MOD.