PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - L@ser attacks on Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2011, 08:55
enwent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aviator asked:
Why where these ever made in the first place do they have a function in the world ?
They were made because it's in the nature of humankind to produce every gadget we invent. Sooner or later, for good or ill, most of them find their way into private hands.

As an astronomer actively pursuing outreach, I find a laser pointer VERY useful. There simply is no better -- or remotely equal -- tool for identifying stars and constellations to a group of people.

I also fitted a 5-milliwatt green laser to my 8" Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope, whose design and mounting often impede (and sometimes prevent) sighting up the optical tube into the sky. The laser lets me point it to a naked-eye reference in seconds, where I used to fumble around for minutes. On this telescope, it's the best tool imaginable for initial location.

However, I share your bewilderment and outrage over the abuse of lasers. I always check for air traffic before turning mine on, then douse it as soon as I've found my place. It's seldom on for more than 10 seconds per few minutes. At the legal US limit, the beam remains visible in very clear, dry conditions. Even among astronomers, careless use has made enemies of lasers, and I keep mine off where it's not welcome.

Cell-phone idiocy injures and kills many more people than laser idiocy ever will, but anyone who called for a ban on cell phones we'd dismiss as a fruit loop. With so many needlessly powerful lasers (and phones!) already in reckless hands, I believe we'll do more good by educating the users than by banning the tools.