PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - STAR Clearance limits
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2011, 04:14
welliewanger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with Dan.
I also work in Asia and know of many airfields where the controllers assume that you'll carry out the STAR (by guesswork) and the approach (again, either by guesswork, or if it's not the ILS, it's stated on the ATIS). Some places you don't get any clearance whatsoever. I've been cleared for takeoff without any SID, had a conflab in the flight deck, I thought we should go direct to our first flight planned waypoint, the capt wanted to maintain runway heading. Apparently neither was correct. We should have guessed which SID was in use (there was only one).

It's not "the right way" to do it. But it is the way it's done here. In fact, if you do it "the right way" it all goes tits up.

I agree with the original poster that people should do it "right". However (as has been pointed out by others) there are people from other countries who have learnt to include some educated guesswork into what they're doing. A solution for your problem would be to give more explicit clearances and not just assume that "certain operators" will read the fine print.